Benefits of Breastfeeding
We encourage you to learn more about breastfeeding. Over 80% of Austin moms choose this option for their newborns because breast milk contains all of the nutrients that babies needs to grow and thrive. Our staff gives you the support you need to overcome the early bumps in the road and ensure success.
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) endorse breastfeeding because of the health benefits for both mother and baby:
- Babies who breastfeed for the first six months tend to have fewer ear infections, digestive issues and respiratory illnesses.
- Breast milk contains antibodies your baby needs to ward off infections during infancy.
- Breastfeeding is linked to lower rates of SIDS.
- Babies whose mothers choose breastfeeding have decreased risk for obesity, certain cancers, diabetes, and tend to have higher IQ scores.
- Mothers who breastfeed lose the pregnancy weight sooner, and may have a decreased risk of osteoporosis and ovarian and breast cancers.
Turn to a Lactation Consultant for Support and Advice
Austin City Lactation collaborates with 411 Pediatrics to support you throughout the newborn months as you get into a rhythm with breastfeeding. For 411 Pediatrics families, a brief breastfeeding assessment is included as part of the newborn follow-up visit at 3-5 days of life (weekdays only). Comprehensive consultations and evaluations for all babies in the community are offered for a separate fee.
Austin City Lactation partners with The Lactation Network, who may be able to bill your insurance for breastfeeding support services. Insurance plans Lactation Network may be able to bill include:
- BCBS PPO
- Anthem BCBS PPO
- Cigna PPO
- Humana PPO
- United Healthcare PPO
- Multiplan logo on card regardless of carrier
- PNOA logo on card regardless of carrier
If you have any of the above insurance coverage, go to the Lactation Network and sign up for pre-approval prior to scheduling a lactation appointment.
Alice Stegmann and Tracy Gubelin, registered nurses and international board certified lactation consultants, offer breastfeeding tips, compassionate assistance with breastfeeding challenges and practical advice such as how to pump and store breast milk.
Yes! We can help with pump rentals.
How to Breastfeed
Yes, breastfeeding is a natural process, but most new moms need a little support at the beginning. Friends and family members who have nursed their children may be able to help. But, a certified lactation consultant offers an extra level of care, sharing expert advice on positioning and latching on, increasing milk supply and alleviating nipple pain. We have two of the most respected breastfeeding experts in Austin!
One of the best breastfeeding tips we can offer to new moms: Don’t give up. Even moms whose babies latch on and nurse well at first will experience some setbacks. Your Austin pediatrician and the certified lactation consultants at 411 Pediatrics are here to help overcome obstacles so that you can enjoy a successful breastfeeding experience.